LisH

LisH

Undone - Rachel Caine Great start to the Weather Warden spin-off series. The characters make a brief appearance towards the end of the WW series, but this begins prior. Same world set-up and the main character Cassiel is of the "old djinn" reporting to Ashan who strips her of her djinn essence and casts her down to earth as a human. But she quickly learns that she now has to rely on a weather warden to replenish her energy and her "earth warden" powers. Lewis the leader of the WWs sets her up with another earth warden in NM to keep her out of their way. We get to watch her slowly become human (which the old djinn despise), as she assists Manny Rocha with his earth warden duties. Very touching moments as she adopts the Rocha family that takes her in and a lot of emotional ups and downs with all that entails.

I really enjoyed the scaled down drama in the first part of this spin-off as the WW are always fighting to save the world from one crisis after another. It was sweet to see her relationship with Manny's daughter Isabel unfold and become more human as she goes thru the discovery process of developing feelings for this family. I really think it helps to have read the WW series first, but might not be necessary. Definitely plan on continuing with this series, I like the less epicness of this one, but have a feeling that we might me headed back to the end of the world scenario with this one too.