LisH

LisH

Burning Alive - Shannon K. Butcher 3 1/2 stars. Drake and his fellow Theronai warriors fight against demons and protect unknowing humans for centuries. There lives are reflected by the tree tattoo on there chest and torso that loses its leaves as they near their end as the power that builds up has no release. Their only hope is to find a compatible Theronai woman that they can bond with and share power and completes them. This is near impossible for these Sentinels as they have been sterile for centuries and many of their women have been killed. Helen is a miracle for Drake and brings hope to all the warriors like him who thought finding blooded females an impossibility. When Drake and Helen meet and she fears him because she has been having visions of her death for years as he watches her burn. But, their connection is too strong and they grow closer despite the fated event that will end her life in fire. So they are racing against time as she is brought into this new power and trying to learn how to use it before she gets Drake killed too.

I enjoyed this book and will definitely continue with this series. I had a little difficulty with the world building and the feeling of being dumped into the middle of a movie along with Helen and very confused about what was happening. I really needed a sentinel dictionary for all the races and demon types. Everything is a mad rush until page 200 when Drake finally gets to sit down with her and starts to explain. Lots of action and pretty dark moments and an ominous epilogue that hints that we've only been allowed to see a very small portion of the bigger picture. Interested to see where this storyline is headed.