LisH

LisH

Blood Bound (Unbound Novel) - Rachel Vincent Creative new world of Skilled characters that are Trackers, Binders, Travellers, Blinders, Seers, etc. There's a set of rules that the Skilled do to protect themselves from each other so they are not exploited by the mafia type factions that rule the city. John Tower and Ruben Cavazos are the faction leaders and it's an ongoing battle with each lining up their contractually indentured talent vs the others. In the beginning of this world building there is a pact four young girls made before they understood that they were Skilled and bound themselves to each other to the point it ruined their young lives and set the stage for this book. The main characters are Liv, who was in love with Cam, but because of one of friends was forced to leave him and a future with him. Six years later he appears along with another "friend" and they are forced to work together to protect the daughter of her friend. Then the plot gets interesting as it twists around all the players and plays out in a somewhat predictable way. There was a lot of energy put into the dramatic build up, but often it fizzled or had been reduced to a minor event by the time of the big reveal. There was a lot of filler fluff that seemed to get in the way of the main storyline at times, but there was some good potential in this new series. The story was told from the POV of both main characters, which I enjoyed. I plan to continue with the series, because I'm hoping that some of my frustration with this story was a first in series world building issue that should not get in the way of the next edition.